PATH Director: Bed bugs gone: Woman staying at the shelter says the problem remains – Farmington Daily Times
When the housekeepers came in to the room to clean it while I was checking out, they pulled the headboard and bed bugs just scattered everywhere.” That’s when Ward contacted the Ector County Health Department, they told her to get a doctor’s note. She went to the hospital and sure enough, they diagnosed her with Cellulitis, a bacterial skin infection that can be caused by bed bug bites. Management at the Executive Inn declined to give us a comment but Ward says she is considering legal action. “We are going to take civil action against them, because I mean, I’ve got doctor bills now. I’ve got a serious infection,” Ward said. NewsWest 9 spoke with the manager at the Executive Inn who showed us their most recent health department visit, which was back in February. According to that, there were no bed bugs. However, the manager did admit that when there are complaints of bed bugs, they thoroughly clean the rooms with chemicals. Woman Claims to Have Skin Infection From Bed Bugs at Motel An itching and burning feeling is no way to wake up. One womansays she was staying at the Executive Inn in Odessa last week waiting for her apartment to be ready to move into.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.newswest9.com/story/27339076/woman-claims-to-have-skin-infection-from-bed-bugs-at-motel
6 health risks of staying in a stranger’s home | Fox News
to kill the bed bugs this week. She said company workers wanted to spray only the one room that was infested, but she insisted they spray all four rooms, which included 28 beds in an area for single women. The pest control company’s owner, Jack Miller, said his company did spray the building on Tuesday, but it was a “regular monthly service call” and they didn’t find any bed bugs. “It had nothing to do with bed bugs,” he said. Crystal Lee, a 30-year-old mother who stays at the shelter with her 19-month-old son, said on Thursday that the bugs aren’t gone. She, her son and others who stay at the PATH are still being bitten, she said. Circular red welts mark most bed bug bites.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.daily-times.com/four_corners-news/ci_26903861/path-director-bed-bugs-gone-woman-staying-at?source=rss
RELATED: 14 Types of Food That Can Make You Sick Allergens As long as youre staying in the home of someone you know and trust, or a host who has good reviews on a home rental website, its fairly safe to assume that theyve left you with clean bed sheets and towels. But that doesnt necessarily mean the linens are safe for everyone to use: People with sensitive skin or allergies may react badly to fabrics washed in certain detergents or abrasive cleaners, Thomas said. And pillows and duvets that arent laundered regularly may harbor dust mites that can aggravate asthma, eczema, and hay fever, according to a 2006 University of Worcester study. I have clients who always travel with their own sheets and towels because they just feel more comfortable knowing how and when theyve been washed, Thomas said. If theyre worried about waking up with a rash or itchy skin, its a good precaution to take. People with pet allergies or asthma may want to confirm before arriving that there is no pet dander, cigarette residue, or other potential triggers in the home, as well. Bed bugs One in five Americans has had a bedbug infestation or knows someone who has, according to the National Pest Management Association.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/11/15/6-health-risks-staying-in-strangers-home/